Floating Tea Cup Challenge
Welcome to Oak Bay’s new Mayor, Kevin Murdoch, who will be facing challenger(s) each year in the Floating Tea Cup Race. Made of fibre glass and powered by mis-matched oars, it’s a race of skill and daring. Pull too hard on the oars and your saucer may dip into the water and you’re sunk! Not to fear, the Oak Bay Sea Rescue Society rescue boat is close by.
Past challengers have included:
- Former Victoria, Mayor Alan Lowe;
- Former Saanich, Mayor Frank Leonard;
- Former Esquimalt, Mayor Darwin Robinson;
- Publican, Matt McNeill;
- Olympic rower, Silken Laumann;
- Former MLA, Ida Chong;
- David Hahn, former President of B.C. Ferries;
- The Q’s, Ed Bain;
- NHL hockey star, Geoff Courtnall;
- Actor and author, Meg Tilly;
- Former Oak Bay Mayor, Christopher Causton;
- MP, Murray Rankin;
- Former Police Chief Frank Elsner of Victoria, former Police Chief Bob Downie of Saanich and former Deputy Police Chief Kent Thom of Oak Bay;
- 2010 Firefighter Calendar “Mr. May”, Duane Adsett;
- Band Directors: Jeff Weaver from Oak Bay High, Jamie Davis from Spectrum Community School, and Dave Flello from Reynolds Secondary School; and
- Acting Mayor of Oak Bay, Hazel Braithwaite and Tea Party Chair, Sandy Germain challenging former Mayor of Oak Bay, Chris Causton and former Tea Party Chair, Bill Murphy-Dyson.
- Deputy Chief Constable, Ray Bernoties and Deputy Fire Chief, Darren Hughes.
Stay tuned for updates. The 2022 race will take place Sunday, June 5th at 3:00 p.m. at Willows Beach. See you there!